This coconut red lentil soup is absolutely divine! Made with butternut squash, fresh herbs and coconut milk this healthy vegan soup will become your favorite dinner this season! It’s creamy, it’s flavorful, it’s light and it’s done in 30 minutes.
Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup
If you’re just as sick and tired of being cold all the time, this soup will solve your problems and warm you up for a while. OMG, guys, it’s like, super delicious. It’s sweet and it’s savory and it’s light and it’s creamy and it’s absolutely the best lentil soup ever.
I can’t quite believe it’s completely vegan and gluten-free, because of how good and satiated it makes me feel every time I make it…but it is. It is both.
How To Make Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup
I decided to make this soup with red lentils. Not only do they cook faster, but they make a very creamy consistency and they’re tasty. I think I said creamy 4 times so far, note to self: use Thesaurus when you think and speak about this soup.
There’s not much you need to do here really:
- Chop vegetables
- Saute onion and spices
- Add the rest of the ingredients and water or stock and cook
That is it! 3 easy steps and this is done in about 30 minutes, that’s right: Weeknight dinner!
Don’t skip the cilantro and the toasted sesame seeds on top – these make the soup even better. Except if you’re allergic to sesame seeds, then that tip means nothing to you.
Light and creamy, butternut squash red lentil soup is an easy and healthy vegan soup recipe that you’ll absolutely love!
- 2 cup red lentils, soaked overnight
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp ginger, ground
- 2 Tbsp coconut cream
- Saute the onion, the cinnamon, cardamom and ground ginger with coconut oil in a small cooking pot at medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add lentils, butternut squash, a few good pinches of salt and cover with water or stock. Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling, stir in the coconut cream (add water if needed). Then reduce the heat and let simmer until lentils are done (took me around 10-15 minutes).
- Add salt if needed (probably!) and take off heat.
- Serve hot with some chopped cilantro and if desired – toasted sesame seeds.
You Might Also Like: