This chicken salad sandwich melt is tasty, comforting and very easy to make. Perfect when you have no time to cook or eat, but are hungry.
I tried to sneak in some vegetables in here (yes, there are 2 tbsp arugula), but even without them, this sandwich is so good. If I had more leftover chicken I would be making this for the rest of the week.
I didn’t use mayonnaise, because I really don’t like it. Instead I used, again, sour cream. And I love it! However, if you’re not a fan of sour cream – cream cheese would also do the work.
Added some olives and basil, because they’re a huge part of my life, assembled it all together and toasted that thing in my waffle maker.
Speaking of, I should really start using that waffle maker to actually make waffles. I’ve only been using it for sandwiches. And I don’t regret a thing.
You can also use a panini maker or make this in a non-stick pan on the stove. Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it!
This chicken salad sandwich melt is so tasty and easy to make. I used my waffle maker to toast it, but you can also use a panini maker or toast the sandwich in a non-stick pan on the stove.
- 1 cup chicken, cooked, chopped*
- 2 Tbsp sour cream or cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp arugula chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- black pepper
- salt to taste
- 4 olives, pitted, chopped
- 1 tomato, sliced (optional)
- 5 slices of bread
- In a small bowl, mix the chicken with the sour cream (or cream cheese), basil, arugula, scallion, garlic, black pepper, olives and mozzarella. Add salt to taste.
- Spread the salad on 2 slices of your favorite bread, add a slice of tomato (optional) on one of the slices and press both slices together.
- To toast: use a waffle maker, a sandwich maker or a panini toaster. You can also toast this sandwich on the stove in a non-stick pan with some olive oil, flip the bread when ready on one side. I used my waffle maker and it took me around 5 minutes.
- Once done, slice in 1/2, that’s how you get 2 chicken sandwich salad melts! Wait for the sandwich to cool off a little bit, so you don’t burn yourself (but don’t wait too long) and enjoy!
You can use any type of leftover chicken here.