Make this quick and easy chickpea tuna salad for lunch or dinner right now! It’s a high-protein meal, that is tasty, filling and super satisfying! Follow meal prep instructions to make this healthy salad ahead.
Did you know you can throw canned chickpeas, canned tuna and some vegetables in a bowl and call that a salad? And it’s a really good one. It tastes good, it smells good and you can make it in around 10-15 minutes. Depending on how fast you can open cans and chop fresh vegetables.
Chickpea Tuna Salad Ingredients
- tuna in brine – make sure to drain really good
- canned chickpeas – here you’ll need to rinse and drain
- vegetables – tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, arugula, jalapeno or some other hot pepper, some red onion, garlic. All that needs to be chopped up.
- olives and olive oil – use pitted olives for more convenience and extra virgin olive oil.
How To Make The Salad?
It’s the easiest thing in the world and very convenient during summer as there’s absolutely no actual cooking involved.
The process involves:
- chopping the above-mentioned vegetables
- rinsing and draining the canned goods
- placing everything in a bowl
- combining and adding things to taste.
This salad is very versatile (pretty much like all salads).
This means, if you don’t like a certain ingredient, you can simply kick it out of the recipe and there will be no consequences.
For example: You don’t like tomatoes? Leave them out and add a vegetable you actually like. The only thing you’d need to adjust is probably salt and sour (so add more lemon).
Here are some other ingredients you might like in this salad:
- any type of beans
- hard-boiled eggs
- feta cheese or other cheese
- kale or lettuce
- roasted vegetables
- fresh herbs like basil
Meal Prep Option
Now, would this salad keep like this in the fridge for more than a few hours? The answer is no.
But leave out the tomatoes, the cucumbers and dressing ingredients and this tuna chickpea salad is good enough to be on your weekly meal prep plan. Remember to keep dressing, cucumbers and cherry tomatoes separate and add them right before you’re about to serve to keep this salad fresh.
Remember this recipe makes around 2 servings, so feel free to make more.
Healthy chickpea tuna salad recipe that is easy, delicious and comes with a simple meal prep option. This nourishing salad is a quick high-protein meal and makes a filling healthy lunch or a tasty dinner recipe.
- 1/2 cup tuna, canned in brine, drained
- 1 1/2 cup chickpeas, canned, rinsed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 small hot pepper like jalapeno
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup greens, chopped
- 1/2 small/medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup olives, pitted
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop all vegetables.
- Rinse and drain tuna and chickpeas.
- Add everything to a bowl. Add olive oil and lemon juice and combine it all.
- Salt and pepper to taste and enjoy immediately or use the meal prep option.
***Estimated nutrition for the whole recipe***