This 20-minute easy thick chicken soup with noodles is loved by kids and grown-ups! Just 8 simple ingredients and one pot – this is the simplest, tastiest chicken soup you’ll ever eat and you can make it FROM SCRATCH today!
I threw this chicken soup together in an extreme hurry for lunch for my 2-year old son. Then, my sister who was visiting decided she needs to have lunch as well, so she enjoyed a bowl too. She really loved my chicken soup. Which made me feel very proud, pretty, elegant and sophisticated.
Also, when did I become a slave for a second person? We know my toddler is the boss of me, but how did my sister with her big mouth sneak in to eat his meals and make me cook for her. People will use and abandon you if you let them.
Alright, now that we set the mood, let’s see how this soup’s done.
Chicken Soup Ingredients
Chicken. Because this is a speedy recipe I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or one of them) and did not cook a whole chicken. That little trick saved me 32367 hours, because I didn’t need to debone the chicken like I did for this chicken soup recipe.
Carrot, Onion and Potato. One of each, these are classic soup ingredients and very needed in here.
Yogurt and egg yolk. Trust me on this one. It’s going to make the soup thicker.
Noodles. I only added a few of these, I used macaroni, but feel free to use your favorite kind!
How To Make Thick Chicken Soup
- Cook the chicken and onion with some water
- Add in the potatoes, noodles, and the carrot.
- In a small bowl whisk the yogurt and egg yolk. Once the soup is cooked add a 2-3 tbsp of the soup to this mixture and mix well.
- Pour that “cocktail” into the soup, stir in and take off heat
- Serve immediately or keep in the fridge.
You can make this soup gluten-free by using rice or gluten-free noodles instead of regular noodles.
You can easily use broth instead of water if you’d like to.
You can also use up any vegetable you have at home – some broccoli, cauliflower and peas would work well in this soup.
Note that this recipe is for a small batch, so you’ll need to double some of the ingredients if you want to feed more people or to have leftovers.
I hope you’ll enjoy the soup at least as much as my two bosses, let me know if you have any questions and feedback – I’d love to hear from you!
Super easy thick chicken soup with noodles that is loved by toddlers and grown ups. Only 7 ingredients, one pot and 20 minutes!
- 1 boneless skinless chicken thigh
- 1 potato, medium/large, chopped
- 1 onion, medium, chopped
- some noodles
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 1 egg yolk
- In a small pot, cook the chicken with onion at medium-high heat, add water only to cover.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the potato, noodles and carrot and pour in some more water just to cover and some salt. Cook until the potato is cooked and the soup has thickened. Add water if needed.
- In a small bowl mix an egg yolk with yogurt. Once the soup is cooked, add a few tbsp of the soup to the egg yolk and yogurt and combine using a spoon or a fork. Repeat one more time.
- Now add this mixture to the pot and stir until combined. Take off heat and serve immediately or let cool off and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.