This easy healthy avocado chicken salad recipe is the perfect way to use up leftover chicken and turn it into a tasty and nourishing meal.
Healthy Avocado Chicken Salad
With avocado, tons of veggies, herbs and spices this chicken salad has little to do with the original mayonnaise-based recipe and it’s absolutely delicious! You can make it in around 10 minutes by using some cooked chicken – the rest of the ingredients need almost no preparation.
This healthy avocado chicken salad ticks off almost all of the boxes: it’s gluten-free, paleo and low-carb. Although, you might feel the need to put it on a piece of bread or a cracker. I did that and I have no regrets.
Avocado. Mash a ripe avocado – it’s a great source of healthy fats and fiber and a perfect substitute for mayonnaise.
Chicken. Use cooked, preferably shredded chicken if you can.
Garlic and Dill make this salad more interesting, fresh and flavorful. You can also use other herbs if you don’t have dill. Basil, parsley or cilantro are all great choices.
Red and orange vegetables. I threw in some tomatoes, red onions, carrots and red bell pepper for some color and extra vitamins.
Lemon. Just a squeeze for additional flavor, freshness and some acidity.
Olives. I used pitted and chopped Kalamata olives and I feel like these contribute so much to the flavor of this salad. If you don’t like olives, you can use pickles, pickled jalapenos or even artichokes in this salad.
How To Make Healthy Chicken Salad
- Make the base – it’s as simple as mashing a ripe avocado and minced garlic together.
- Shred the chicken or slice it in small pieces.
- Chop vegetables and herbs.
- Add all ingredients to the avocado base.
- Mix everything together and add lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on sliced cucumber, as lettuce wraps or if not low carb or paleo – crackers or toasted bread.
And that’s how I made my healthier version of a chicken salad. I hope you enjoy it as much as me and my family did if you do try it. And if you like it – feel free to share the recipe with your friends and family.
- 2/3 cup cooked chicken
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large avocado
- 2 Tbsp chopped dill
- 2 Tbsp chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 carrot, chopped
- 5 olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
- Chop the vegetables and shred the chicken.
- Mash the avocado with the minced garlic in a bowl until smooth.
- Add the chicken, chopped vegetables and lemon juice salt and pepper and mix everything together.
- Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Enjoy on a toast, crackers or for low carb and paleo versions - as a lettuce wrap or on cucumber slices.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 43mg Sodium: 266mg Carbohydrates: 14g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 14g
You Might Also Like: