I don’t want to brag, but then again, this chicken salad is amazing and you have to try it! It’s a healthy and easy keto dinner recipe that is also antioxidant-rich and so amazingly delicious!
So for the last few weeks I’ve been thinking about trying the keto diet. I know, I know…it’s so out there and so famous right now, but what if it actually works?
So I’ve started it 3 days ago, so far so good. I came up with this salad, so it’s definitely been a win for me.
The last push I needed to actually try this extreme looking low carb diet was measuring my blood sugar after I had dinner with my family. It was a little bit high, which I wasn’t happy about, but didn’t think much of at that point. And then for fun, I measured my husband’s and my sister’s blood sugar as well. Turns out, the only one who had high, out of the normal blood sugar was me.
Now, true I had gestational diabetes and was left with insulin resistance after I had the baby. But the doctors told me I’d return to normal once I lose some weight.
As you might have read, I already lost 20 pounds, which brought me in the normal BMI range months ago. So I was really surprised that my blood sugar was so high, even though I lost the weight and wasn’t pregnant anymore. So I decided to give low carb / keto a try and also decided to do it in a healthier way. My goal is not only to lose weight, but to improve my insulin resistance and to have more energy.
I will report about my experience with the keto diet in another post, for now, let’s focus on this beautiful, tasty salad.
Make this amazing healthy chicken salad for dinner or lunch today – with avocado, olives and vegetables this low carb / keto chicken recipe is satisfying, fresh and super healthy!
- 2 cup lettuce, chopped
- 2/3 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 1 avocado
- 8oz/200g boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp basil, dry
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 5 walnut halves, chopped
- 8 olives, pitted
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the chicken: Marinate the chicken with coriander, basil, crushed red pepper, 1 garlic glove, black pepper and some salt for at least 30min.
- In a non-stick pan, add the chicken with 1 tbsp olive oil and cook at medium to medium-high heat, stirring occasionally for 5-6 minutes until the chicken is done. Add the parsley, stir in for about a minute and turn the heat off. Let it cool off a little, before you add it to the salad.
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl whisk yogurt, vinegar, tamari, 1 garlic clove and mustard together.
- Making the salad: In a large salad bowl add the lettuce, cabbage, olives, avocado, chicken, walnuts, sesame seeds. Add the dressing, Parmesan cheese, mix well and add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!