Learn How To Make Homemade Chicken Soup From Scratch!
With this recipe, you’ll be able to make the most satisfying homemade chicken soup from scratch! Trust me, you’ll need a bowl or two when it gets rainy and freezing outside. When that time comes, remember this soup recipe – it will warm your body and your heart!
Homemade Chicken Soup
This is the chicken soup that I grew up with. The homemade goodness my dad taught me how to make when I was 14. I was going to fall asleep during that “cooking class” back then, but this has proven to be one of the most rewarding crash courses I’ve ever been through.
I go back to this recipe every time it gets cold outside, any time I feel like I’m getting a cold, every time when I need a comforting and healthy bowl of real, delicious chicken soup. It always makes me feel a whole lot better. And now I get to share it with the world.
How To Make Chicken Soup From Scratch
The first step to making a chicken soup from scratch is to cook a whole chicken or chicken thighs in water. Make sure they’re fully cooked through, the meat should be falling off the bones.
While you’re cooking the chicken, the water will turn into a simple chicken broth, so no need to add that extra – simply add a few pinches of salt. (Adjust for more salt at the end!).
The next step is to take the meat off the bones. You can do this using a fork, but I always use my hands. I do this while cooling the chicken off in a bowl filled with cold water, so I don’t burn my hands. Not the best treatment for my nails or hands, but I never regret it.
Once you’ve taken all the meat off the bones – discard the bones; you can also discard the skin (I sometimes keep it in the soup, but it’s not everyone’s thing!).
Place a chopped onion, potatoes herbs, spices, vegetables, noodles and the cooked chicken into the cooking pot (the broth is also there!).
Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are done. At the end, add salt and black pepper to taste. Serve warm and enjoy immediately or let cool off and store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Best Chicken Soup Tips:
- Use a whole chicken or chicken thighs. The flavor, the broth is simply different than if you were to use chicken breast.
- Use some herbs and spices. Not too many, but a little bit of fresh or dried mint, some parsley and black peppers just make this soup better!
- Add vegetables you love! My favorite soup vegetables are carrots, onions (of course!) and potatoes.
- Add noodles or some rice to make the soup more filling!
A warming homemade chicken soup from scratch that is healthy, delicious and will keep you warm!
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 big potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- bell pepper (optional)
- bunch of fresh mint or 2 tbsp dry mint
- freshly ground pepper
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp parsley, chopped
- thin noodles (a handful)
- Boil the chicken thighs in a pot with 4 cups water until cooked, take them out of the pot, transfer into a bowl with cold water. Save the broth. This step takes around 40 minutes.
- Let the chicken thighs cool off a little bit, so you don’t burn your hands. then start removing the bones and the skin, then pulling the meat apart.
- Transfer the meat back into the pot with the broth and add in the onion, carrot, potato, mint, noodles, bell pepper. Add salt! I usually add 1/2 tsp salt and then taste some more if needed. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are done. Have a taste, add black pepper and more salt if needed.
- Take off heat and top with parsley. Mix in and serve immediately, enjoy! You can store this soup in the fridge for 3-5 days.
You Might Also Like: