As someone who’s never been fond of meatballs, I’m kinda hesitant to say it, but these keto Greek meatball bowls (say that three times fast!) have become a favorite recently. This low carb meal prep recipe is flavorful, healthy and just great for lunch or dinner.
Well, doing keto I kinda ran out of lunch and dinner ideas that didn’t involve chicken or salmon. So “beef it is”, I said when my husband came back from the grocery store with 1 pound of ground beef one day.
Making The Meatballs
I kept things easy. I didn’t put an egg into the mixture, but I did add lots of herbs and spices. And, of course, super important for meatballs – some salt!
Here’s how these meatballs happen. You take some ground beef (or any other type of ground meat will work) and put it in a mixing bowl. Then you chop some bell pepper and scallions, as tiny as you can.
Next you get all the spices you have at home and go crazy. Mint, basil, thyme, crushed red pepper, black pepper – you add all that to the meat. Then add about 1/2 tsp salt, squeeze 3 cloves of garlic using a garlic press, and finally the vegetables you just chopped.
Then, you dig in, with your hands that is, and start massaging that mixture until you feel (kinda) comfortable doing it. Seriously, I felt the urge to wash my hands about 7362 times while I was doing this. But it was worth it in the end. I had delicious food that didn’t spoil in the next 4 days. Miracle.
The point is to get all the ingredients mixed well with the meat. Once all is mixed, you start making balls, or in this case smaller patties.
Then you take a pan, add some olive oil to it and cook these meatballs until golden brown on both sides.
How To Keep These Low Carb Meal Prep Bowls Fresh?
So what I did, was I stored the yogurt garlic sauce in a jar and kept all the meatballs in one glass container. I was making a fresh salad every time before I serve these.
I understand it’s not possible for everyone to make a salad right before they eat. So if you want to take these to work for lunch – use a container with more compartments. Also, try adding whole cherry tomatoes instead of chopped tomatoes
Store the sauce, the vegetables + feta cheese and the meatballs in separate compartments. This way you’ll make sure your meal prep food stays fresh longer.
I hope you enjoy this refreshing healthy Greek bowls for lunch or dinner! Let me know in the comments if you have any questions!
Make these keto Greek meatball bowls for lunch or dinner, they’re healthy, flavorful and fresh. This is a great low carb meal prep lunch or dinner recipe that you can also take to work!
- 12oz / 350g ground beef
- 1 tbsp mint, dried
- 1 tbsp basil, dried
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 scallion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cucumber
- 1 cup tomatoes
- feta cheese
- 2 scallions
- 2 cups lettuce
- In a mixing bowl add ground beef, chopped scallion and bell pepper, 1 tbsp olive oil, thyme, mint, basil, crushed red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper and squeeze the 3 cloves of garlic using a garlic press.
- Then using a fork or your hands, mix everything together until combined.
- Form meatballs or smaller patties and cook in a non-stick pan at medium-high with 1 tbsp olive oil until golden brown on each side.
- For the yogurt garlic sauce, mix the yogurt with 1 minced garlic clove and a pinch of salt.
- When the meatballs are ready, either let them cool off and transfer to an airtight food container or serve immediately with a salad made of olives, chopped tomatoes & cucumbers, 1 Tbsp olive oil, feta cheese, and scallions. Add some lettuce on the side and the yogurt garlic sauce.
- If you want to meal prep these bowls, it’s best to use containers with 2-3 compartments and store the meatballs, salad, and sauce separately. Also, use cherry tomatoes instead of chopped tomatoes and don’t add the dressing.