Make this salmon and shrimp risotto this week for dinner – it’s easy, it’s delicious and if you serve it with some green vegetables on the side, a super healthy dinner option! This recipe is gluten-free and kid-approved (toddler had no shrimp!).
Salmon And Shrimp Risotto
I’ve been thinking about making this risotto for about a week before it became reality. Some people envision outfits, their wedding days, concerts, having fun with friends…I remember when I was one of those people. Now I only envision dinner and more importantly making dinner. Not even so much eating it, as making it. Although, who makes a full pan of salmon, shrimp and rice and doesn’t eat at least 1/3 of it? Come on.
This is not shrimp fried rice, I’m pretty sure this is risotto, okay? I am fancy now and also very non-expert when it comes to defining dishes. But almost everything cooks together to perfection and it’s pretty delicious and I put cheese and Parmesan and garlic in it, and my house smells like garlic, because I forgot to close the kitchen door, but who cares, because we all ate that garlic, okay. That’s my life.
How To Make Salmon And Shrimp Risotto
Everything cooks in one pan, almost at the same time. But we start with sauteeing some onions and then we’ll add the rice, water and salmon. No shrimp yet, we wanna add this one almost at the end when the rice is almost done and you’re already starving, because you had a sad salad for lunch.
You let the rice and salmon simmer for a while at a low / medium temperature until the rice has soaked up all the water and is done. Please check on your rice throughout that process, because you might need to add some water. Usually, the two cups should be enough though.
Once the rice is ready, stir it, breaking the salmon apart and stirring in the rest of the ingredients. If needed add a little bit more water.
And then you’re done! Serve with some greens on the side and you’ve got yourself a delicious healthy dinner!
- Really keep an eye on your rice for the water content – you don’t want it to burn on the bottom!
- If you want to use stock and not water, you’re welcome to do it here!
- The rice was super tasty with the cheese, but if you’re eating dairy-free, you totally can skip it.
- Spice it up! Add some crushed red pepper or your favorite spicy sauce if you’re more adventurous!
We, 3 people, ate everything in one night and did have seconds and honestly, not that many vegetables on the side. So this makes a lot, can’t tell you how many servings though. I hope you enjoy this salmon and shrimp risotto, if you do try it!
A tasty and easy salmon and shrimp risotto you can make in one pan for the family! Serve with some steamed or fresh greens on the side for a healthy dinner!
- 5oz salmon filet
- 1 lb/450g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup rice, short grain
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- black pepper kernels
- 1 grated carrot
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- grated parmesan
- 3 Tbsp olive oil or butter
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- Using a large non-stick pan, sauté the onion in butter or olive oil until translucent.
- Add the rice, black pepper kernels, crushed red pepper (spicy and optional). Stir with 2 cups of water or stock, a few good pinches of salt (less or no salt if using stock) and add the salmon on top.Reduce the heat to low/medium. Cover with a lid and let simmer until rice is cooked.
- When the rice is done, stir, breaking the salmon apart.
- Stir in the shrimp, carrot, garlic, fresh mint or basil and add a tbsp more olive oil.
- Stir in the mozzarella and cook while stirring until the shrimp is pink and done. In those last minutes, add a little bit of water and salt if needed.
You Might Also Like