I present to you: the tofu wraps that actually made me like tofu. These spicy tofu wraps are full of flavor and an easy vegan dinner recipe, that you comes with a simple meal prep option.
I remember the first time I tried tofu. It was inside a Thai coconut curry I shared with a friend. That friend wasn’t vegan but was hyping it up as if it was warm white bread and worth eating.
I spit that tofu out the minute it touched my tongue. So mushy, soft and tasteless. It doesn’t taste like chicken or anything a human should eat. That day I worked my way around that tofu and moved on hungry with my day. The respect I had for my friend disappeared.
Flash forward 15 years later I’m making tofu at home. And I don’t throw up in my mouth. My taste buds actually celebrate right now and I’m salivating. A lot.
How To Make Tofu Taste Good?
Now, to be fair, this time I didn’t keep the tofu soft and tasteless. I had to do many bad things to it:
- sliced it thinly into gazillion pieces,
- stir-fried those in a pan with some olive oil or if you’re not using olive oil for frying – coconut oil will work as well
- drowned that thing in spices
- added garlic and onion
- suddenly it had texture and taste.
The magic of processing food until it’s unrecognizable. It did not disappoint, even for tofu.
How To Make Spicy Tofu Wraps.
Now that you’ve beaten your tofu to death, it’s time to wrap it in a tortilla with some fresh and healthy stuff:
- use your favorite vegetables – I used some spinach, roasted red peppers, olives, lettuce, cucumber and tomatoes
- add this avocado sauce that makes me want to cry tears of joy
- slap some cashew garlic sauce on top of it all
It was so unbelievable. Really good, guys, you have to try it.
Plus, if we ignore the fact that tofu’s transformation took a million degrees, some stir-frying and a ton of spices – these wraps are also healthy.
Meal Prep Option
You can also make these wraps ahead. Simply keep all separate parts, well separate. Prepare the tofu, the cashew sauce, the avocado sauce and the vegetables in a separate container. Make sure to use whole cherry tomatoes, since sliced tomatoes go bad quickly.
Then assemble, when you’re going to eat.
This spicy tofu wrap will actually make you like tofu, A LOT! This vegan recipe is spicy,full of flavor, delicious and just the perfect vegan dinner recipe!
- 1 cup tofu (around 180g), sliced thinly
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp mint, dry
- 1 tsp basil, dry
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tortillas
- roasted red peppers (optional)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup lettuce, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- handful of olives, pitted, chopped
- 1 spicy avocado sauce
- Press the tofu, so that you get rid of as much liquid as you can. Then thinly slice the tofu, add it to a large non-stick pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil and cook at medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until the tofu has a golden-brown color on each side, this took me around 7-8 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic and spices. Add in one more tbsp of olive oil and stir in the tomato paste, until the tofu is covered with the spices and tomato sauce. Turn the heat off.
- Arranging the wraps: In a tortilla start with spinach, lettuce, a few generous tbsp of the tofu you made, add some cucumber, tomatoes, olives and finish with the spicy avocado sauce. Wrap it up, slice in the middle and enjoy immediately!