I present to you: the tofu wraps that actually made me like tofu.
I remember the first time I tried tofu. It was inside a Thai coconut curry I shared with a friend. That friend wasn’t vegan, but was hyping it up as if it was white bread and worth eating.
I spit that tofu out the minute it touched my tongue. So mushy, soft and tasteless. It doesn’t taste like chicken or anything a human should eat. That day I worked my way around that tofu and moved on hungry with my day. The respect I had for my friend disappeared.
Flash forward 15 years later I’m making tofu at home. And I don’t throw up in my mouth. Now to be fair, I didn’t keep the tofu soft and tasteless. I had to do a lot of things to it.
I sliced it thinly into gazillion pieces, then fried them in a pan with some olive oil, then drowned that thing in spices and suddenly it had texture and taste. The magic of processing food until it’s unrecognizable.
Then I put that beaten to death tofu in a wrap with vegetables and an avocado sauce that makes me want to cry tears of joy and I ate it. It was so unbelievable. Really good, guys, you have to try it. And if we ignore the fact that tofu’s transformation took a million degrees, some stir frying and a ton of spices – these wraps are also healthy.
This spicy tofu wrap will actually make you like tofu, A LOT! This vegan recipe is spicy,full of flavor, delicious and just the perfect vegan dinner recipe!
- 1 cup tofu (around 180g), sliced thinly
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp mint, dry
- 1 tsp basil, dry
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tortillas
- roasted red peppers (optional)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup lettuce, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- handful of olives, pitted, chopped
- 1 spicy avocado sauce
- Press the tofu, so that you get rid of as much liquid as you can. Then thinly slice the tofu, add it to a large non-stick pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil and cook at medium-high heat. Stir occasionally until the tofu has a golden-brown color on each side, this took me around 7-8 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic and spices. Add in one more tbsp of olive oil and stir in the tomato paste, until the tofu is covered with the spices and tomato sauce. Turn the heat off.
- Arranging the wraps: In a tortilla start with spinach, lettuce, a few generous tbsp of the tofu you made, add some cucumber, tomatoes, olives and finish with the spicy avocado sauce. Wrap it up, slice in the middle and enjoy immediately!