We’re making a tuna quesadilla today. A spicy one, not the tuna melt type. This one’s something special, this one’s just like dynamite. How did Usher get a gig here, I don’t know. This recipe is something I make more often than I’d like to admit, to myself, to you and to everyone else.
I make it when I’m hungry at 9pm, I make it when I don’t know what to eat and I make it whenever I feel like eating pizza, but all I’ve got at home is some tomato paste, tuna, cheese, and an old tortilla.
Pictures aren’t the best because it was quite dark when I decide to make and shoot this recipe, so excuse the quality of the images – the taste is there, I promise!
Tuna Quesadilla Ingredients
Canned tuna. This is the perfect recipe if you’ve got a cupboard full of tuna and don’t know what to do with it.
Tomatoes and tomato paste. You can add a fancy tomato sauce for this or just make one pretty quickly by chopping a small tomato and mixing it together with tomato paste. Gourmet cooking at its finest.
Vegetables. Green onions and jalapeno is what I used, you can add any type of vegetables you enjoy here..
Cheese. I used mozzarella cheese. Feel free to use any type of cheese your heart and taste buds desire.
Herbs. Garlic, basil and some crushed red pepper all make an appearance here.
Olive oil. Don’t skip the olive oil – use it for the cooking of the tortilla and inside the tortilla to make the sauce.
Tortilla. I used a really big one, so I ended up with 2 quesadillas and that was too much of a great thing. Share with someone.
How To Make Tuna Quesadilla
- In a bowl combine the tuna with tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, olive oil, spices, mix it all really good.
- Spread on 1/2 of a tortilla
- Top that 1/2 with some shredded cheese
- Fold the tortilla in 1/2
- Toast in a non-stick pan for a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice in as many pieces you want
That’s pretty much it! I really hope you try this, even if you think it sounds disgusting, I promise (again) it’s really good. It’s one of my go-to lunches or dinners I often eat it together with some salad or simply with avocado.
Spicy tuna quesadilla is a super easy quesadilla recipe that is pretty quick to make for dinner or lunch!
- 1/2 cup tuna, canned, drained
- 1 small/medium tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese
- Place tuna, tomato paste, tomatoes, jalapeno, green onion, garlic, basil, crushed red pepper, 1 Tbsp olive oil in a bowl and mix them well together until you get a very chunky tuna “sauce”.
- Spread enough mixture on half tortilla, top with shredded cheese and fold in 1/2.
- Cover the surface of a non-stick pan with olive oil and toast the tortilla on each side at medium/medium-high for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut in as many pieces as you like.
- Serve immediately.
*depending on the size of your tortillas you might end up with 1-2-3 quesadillas. I used a huge tortilla and this was enough for a big one.